Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Lavender Bay, a Little of North Sydney

It was a very hot day, the sun shone so brightly. Crossing the Harbour Bridge means going to different suburb of Sydney to Northern Suburbs. The nearest suburbs to the Harbour Bridge are Kiribili, Milsons Point, Mcmahons Point and Lavender Bay.

Before the European settlement, Northern Sydney was inhabitated by Wallumettagal tribe. Northern Sydney was the third aboriginal settlement area after Sydney and Parramatta. From 1792 onwards, European came to settle in this area as well.

There are many interesting beaches and heritage area in Northern Sydney. But I was just exploring Lavender Bay that day. I will be back for sure.

My first destination was Wendy's Secret Garden. This wonderful garden is owned by New South Wales government and taken care by Wendy Whiteley. Wendy Whiteley started to clear up and landscape a large patch of messy land in front of her house after the death of her husband in 1992, in her own expense.

After 15 years of hard work, Wendy's Secret Garden is just like an oasis overlooking Sydney Harbour Bridge. Wendy's daughter, Arkie, helped her with the effort of beautifying the garden but not for long. She passed away in 2001, but her ashes were scattered in the garden, where she put her heart to.

Although this garden is called Wendy's Secret Garden, public has free access to it. I felt like I was walking into a rainforest in the middle of subtropic Australia. It felt amazing.



People on picnic and BBQ
Flowers and palms

The beautiful garden overlooking the magnificent Sydney Harbour Bridge

The house of Wendy Whiteley

Huge garden, it is

Pretty, isn't it?

I then walked down to Lavender Bay. It's a tiny pretty beach overlooking Luna Park and Sydney Harbour Bridge.

A jetty for water taxi at Lavender Bay

The extend of the beach

I witnessed a wedding

Oops, two weddings!

A private beach house overlooking this view, so good!

Let me enjoy selfie like a thirteen year old

Then I continued walking to North Sydney Train Station. I planned to take the train back to CBD because it was so freaking hot. A good 15-minute walk but the train station was closed for maintenance when I reached there.

Love the houses

North Sydney commercial & business area

Greenwood Plaza opposite North Sydney Train Station

Food court

So I walked back, crossing the bridge again, showering in a gleam of overly bright sunshine.

See you again, North Sydney!

My mistake was underestimating Australian sun. I got my first sunburnt here. I felt my body radiating heat after I got back home and it did not disappear till the next day. I will never ever forget to check the weather forecast and to apply my sunblock again.

Love is in the air,
Little Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment