Launceston City is full of charms! I love strolling along the city and finding myself in the middle of parks and colonial buildings. With the weather that is way colder than Sydney, hopping from one junction to another is just pleasing.
Prince's Square is a heritage park with Charles Street, Frederick Street, St. John Street and Elizabeth Street at four sides. It was used as public space since 1826 and went through many changes of usage since then. From the clay pit, brick field, rubbish dump, election site, etc. The establishment of the park was started in 1858 and it was officially opened in 1859.
The main icon of the park is Val d'Osne Fountain located at the centre of the park. The fountain was bought by the Municipal Council from Paris in 1859. However, there is a story about how the fountain was never intended for Launceston in Tasmania. Due to the shared name of Launceston in Tasmania and in England, the fountain was shipped to the wrong place. Due to high shipping cost, it was never shipped back.
|Prince's Square Entrance from Charles Street|
|Trees and flowers|
|Trees and trees|
|Val d'Osne Fountain|
|With the pine trees at the background|
|Elizabeth Street Entrance|
|View to Frederick Street: City Baptist Church and Milton Hall|
|Chalmer Presbyterian Church and City Baptist Church at Frederick Street|
Launceston City Centre
Launceston City Centre is the main shopping district in Launceston. The main streets are St. John Street, Paterson Street and Brisbane Street. The area is full of old buildings that turned into shops, department stores, cafes and restaurants. Smaller shopping precinct can be found within the city centre such as Brisbane Street Mall, York Town Square and Old Brisbane Arcade. Basically everything can be found in the shopping area, from local product to international branded shops.
|The first glimpse of the city centre|
|One of the shopping lane|
|Brisbane Street "The Mall"|
|A quiet Saturday morning|
|Old Brisbane Arcade|
|The brick building of Old Brisbane Arcade|
|Into small shopping precinct at Paterson Lane|
Launceston General Post Office
Launceston General Post Office is located at East Launceston at the junction of Cameron Street and St. John Street, besides Visitor Information Centre. The building was designed by Tasmanian government architect W. Eldridge. The construction was completed in 1889. In 1890, architect Corrie and North undertook alteration to the original design, including the construction of the corner tower. However, the building was not well-received by the people of Launceston due to various reasons, such as the pattern and colour as well as the tower without the clock. A clock was then installed in 1909.
The first postal service in Launceston was recorded back in 1820s. The postal service was conducted from private houses in the city. Telegraph services was started in 1856 and mail train to and from Hobart was established in 1877.
|Launceston General Post Office|
|The clock tower in commemoration to the first centenary of City of Launceston|
|The main door to the post office|
|The clock tower, viewed from Civic Square|
Launceston Town Hall & Civic Square
The design and construction of Launceston Town Hall was started in 1864 and completed in 1867. It was designed in Victorian style with the usage of ground floor as Council chamber and municipal offices and upper floor as concert hall and meeting room. Until now, it has undergone many alterations and renovations. The last renovation was held in 2010.
Civic Square is located just behind Launceston Town Hall. It is a pedestrian lane with a small park and buildings. Civic Square connects St. John Street and Charles Street.
|Launceston Town Hall and Civic Square by the side|
|Launceston Town Hall, viewed from St. John Street|
|Are they foxes?|
|A small coffee truck in the middle of Civic Square|
|Civic Square Surgery|
|Tasmania Service Centre|
North Esk River is one of the tributaries of Tamar River at the north of Launceston City Centre. Many activities can be done in this river, including fishing. Launceston beer producer, Boags, draws the water from the tributary river of North Esk River. To cross over from city centre to Inveresk, one can use the bridge along Tamar Street.
|North Esk River towards the west|
|North Esk River towards the east|
Churches in Launceston
There are many many many churches in Launceston. The majority of the religions in Launceston are Christian. 26% of the people of Launceston are Anglican and 16% are Roman Catholic, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics in 2011.
There are many churches in Launceston that catch my eyes. All of them have different beauty and charm but are equally beautiful.
|Church of Apostles|
|Holy Trinity Church|
|St. Andrew Church|
|Pilgrim Uniting Church|
There are still many many many many beautiful things to explore in Launceston.
Love is in the air,